Thursday, April 22, 2021

 

Marinate: Soaking Up the Spices of God’s Word

By Nancy Kelley Alvarez April 2021

 

Fear is all around us. Fear of disease. Fear of change. Fear of the future. Fear of an economic crash. You name it. Which fear is haunting you these days? Ready to grip you in its claws?

A week or so after I learned I might have cancer I found myself stressed. In my mind, I knew I’d be alright. I’m utterly convinced that God is not only with me, but he would get me through whatever may come. But somehow my body didn’t receive the memo. I’d wake at night going over the possible scenarios, none of them pleasant.

Isaiah 41:10 came alive in a new way. I started marinating in each phrase and soaking up all the meanings hidden within them. “Do not fear for I am with you. Be not anxious for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Surely I will help you. Surely I will hold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

Meat tastes better if it is marinated and soaked in various sauces and spices. God’s Word is the same way! Let’s try it out.

“Do not fear”—what is the opposite of fear? I’d say it’s peace, relaxation, calm and confident trust. What would it look like not to be fearful in whatever current situation you face? While it doesn’t mean you’re skipping about with joyful abandon, it might include a peacefulness that shows, ability to handle daily activities, and enjoying the good in life that surrounds you.

“I am with you”—this is the reason why we don’t need to fear. What does that look like? He knows, he understands, he cares, he aches for us, he is by our side coaching, protecting, and guiding.

“Be not anxious” – that is my choice. Another verse says, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart.” (Colossians 3:15). Think about what it looks like to not be anxious.

“I am your God” – if God weren’t powerful that phrase would hold little meaning for us. Or if he wasn’t loving or merciful. Or if he wasn’t in control. Imagine God without one of his eternal attributes and your hope would disappear like bubbles sucked down a drain. Thank Him for all that He is.

Now you try it. What does it look like when you marinate in the remaining phrases?

“I will strengthen you” --

“Surely, I will help you” --

“I will hold you” --

“With my righteous right hand” --

Offer up to God a fear that grips you. Think about how God is going to give you glorious victory and make you more like Him through the circumstance. Marinate in this verse and soak all the juice up. Believe me, it’s delicious! Share with someone else what blessed you most in this exercise.

2 comments:

  1. Love this Nancy! All so true. I especially like thinking on the following and pursuing this to become a daily reality amidst all the current world insanity we're swimming through every day...

    "it might include a peacefulness that shows, ability to handle daily activities, and enjoying the good in life that surrounds you."

    Thx for sharing!
    Soaking up the juice,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and commenting Carol. You're right, it is really a crazy time in history and easy to get pulled down into anxiety, anger etc. By God's grace we can let His Word transform us!

    ReplyDelete