Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Looking Up, Looking Forward

 

LOOKING UP, LOOKING FORWARD!

“For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory.” 2 Corinthians 4:17





The affliction I am facing now doesn’t feel light or momentary at all. My beloved husband passed into glory on August 2, 2021 from Covid Pneumonia. It was the most heartrending experience. The horror and shock still hover on the edge of my consciousness. Yet will I continue to believe the Word of God in whom I’ve staked my life on? Yes, of course. How can I doubt His goodness or faithfulness after 50 years of seeing Him at work in my life? Where else can I turn but to the One who created me and my husband? Who numbered our days?

Do I dare trust Him to make these next weeks, months, years fruitful and fulfilling? Yes, I will.

My feelings rage but the truth is stable and secure.

“For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed.” Romans 8:18

When I lift up my eyes to an eternal perspective, I can have hope, I can press on. I can leave behind the mire and muck of confusion surrounding our days’ events, opinions, conspiracies and ever increasing evil.

When I go for walks I sometimes find myself looking down. When I look down I see the cracks, the dirt, garbage, and nothing very inspiring. When I look up, I see flowers, trees, birds, butterflies, the sun – thoughts of the Lord come easily to mind.



In our current situation, it’s easy to focus on bad news. We hear almost daily of someone’s serious health concern, loss of a loved one, or new threats and concerns.

The Lord gives us the solution: “I lift up my eyes to the hills, from where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1,2

Another verse says, “Set your minds on the things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” Colossians 3:2-4

And this brings me to my biggest hope: Christ will not leave us alone in this dark world. He is bringing about his plan to accomplish His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven! He will bring us to the mansion he has been preparing for us for the last 2000 years. He will reign on the earth and He will receive the glory He deserves and we will reign with Him forever.

Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him for a thousand years.” Revelation 20:6

Hallelujah! Come, Lord Jesus! “So Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him. Hebrews 9:28

Are you eagerly awaiting His return? Are you keeping your focus on the things above? Are you shining His light to others? (Matthew 5:16)

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I want to! Your hope is contageous! God's Word is true! Thank you for these verses!
    I do look down also because that is where I find Petosky stones, butterflies landing on the ground in front of me, many different parts of God's creation. But, then need to look up because missing so much more! God is amazing, everywhere! My help comes from Him, not from things on the ground. Will keep looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you found this post encouraging. Yes, we have to look up or we will get so caught up in discouragement that we will forget about the sonshine beaming down on us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apricate you and your faith in Christ. We know our living God is with you and make you bold and He will use you more for His kingdom.

    ReplyDelete